The Youth Select Committee is a British Youth Council initiative, supported by the House of Commons. The eleven committee members are aged 11-18 and include two Members of the UK Youth Parliament (MYPs), two youth councillors, a Young Mayor, one elected representative from each of the devolved nations and three reserved seats.
This year's Youth Select Committee will focus on work experience, which was voted in the top three issues by young people in the Make Your Mark ballot.
Work experience gives young people the opportunity to develop themselves, hobbies and potential career paths. Young people, however, have said that knowing where to find work experience can be a challenge. This inquiry will explore barriers preventing young people from accessing work experience and what is and isn’t currently available for all young people in the UK.
• Do you want to be part of a Youth Select Committee that aims to change things for the better for young people?
• Are you a confident communicator?
• Are you aged 11 to 18, resident in the UK and able to volunteer your time on the dates as stated in the application?
• Do you have an interest in youth representation and democracy?
To get a feel for what a Youth Select Committee is, watch a video summary of the 2017 inquiry. Last year’s Youth Select Committee report has already changed the Parliamentary agenda, as the Science and Technology Committee has recently launched an inquiry on the impact of social media and screen use on young people, partly in response to the Youth Select Committee’s report. This project has a real impact and you could be a part of it!
Join the Youth Select Committee
Deadline: Your application (form and short film) needs to be returned by MIDNIGHT on Monday 19th March 2018 and the successful candidates will by informed on Friday 23rd March.
- Read more + March 1, 2018 By Rhammel Afflick in News, Press, Youth Select Committee
- Read more + February 26, 2018 By Thomas Copeland in Blogs, Youth Select Committee
- Read more + January 5, 2018 By Thomas Copeland in Blogs, Youth Select Committee
- Read more + January 4, 2018 By Jo Hobbs in News, Youth Select Committee
- Read more + November 15, 2017 By Rhammel Afflick in News, Press, Youth Select Committee
- Read more + July 13, 2017 By Rhammel Afflick in News, Press, Youth Select Committee
- Read more + July 12, 2017 By Rhammel Afflick in News, Press, Youth Select Committee
- Read more + July 4, 2017 By Rhammel Afflick in News, Youth Select Committee
- Read more + May 19, 2017 By Rhammel Afflick in News, Youth Select Committee
- Read more + February 7, 2017 By Rhammel Afflick in News, Youth Select Committee
Find out more about the previous inquiries led by the British Youth Council's Youth Select Committee.
Committee Members and Staff Contact Details
Youth Select Committee
British Youth Council
49-51 East Road
London N1 6AH
Anna Sterckx, National Projects Co-ordinator at the British Youth Council on 07956 681150 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Press and Publicity information
Members of the press with enquiries should contact Rhammel Afflick, Communications & Media Officer, British Youth Council, on 020 7250 8376 or Rhammel.Afflick@byc.org.uk; Camilla Aitken, House of Commons Senior Media Relations Officer, on 020 7219 7395 or email@example.com